Pages

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

First Half Marathon Complete!

This past weekend was the half marathon that I had been training for the last few months. I ran the race with a few of my good friends from college and we had the best time. The half that we ran was the Snow Canyon Half in St. George, UT. I had never been to that part of Utah before, but was so excited to see what a gorgeous course it was.

A few things that I learned through training for the half:

- 12 weeks was probably too long of a training plan for me. I felt burned out about 2 weeks before the race and backed off from long training runs which actually seemed to work out okay in the end.
- Being able to race at a lower altitude was a huge benefit. You forget how much more difficult it is to breathe in Colorado when you train here full time!
- Fall is a great time of the year to get a race in... the crisp air in the AM is perfect for training and race day.
- I have a tradition of booking a massage for myself after big athletic events as a reward. I booked one as soon as I got back to Colorado this week and felt so pampered!

Lastly, I am so glad that I got to run with amazing friends. It was a great reason to schedule a trip and all keep each other motivated throughout the training process. We stayed together for the entire race just running and chatting our way through each mile, it was a blast. I can't wait until the next event!

No comments:

Post a Comment