Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Swiss Chard Lentil Bean Soup

I am so happy fall is here! To me that means get out the dutch oven and crock pot because I'll be making soup nonstop. My first soup of the season was inspired while perusing Whole Foods and saw red lentils in the bulk bins. If you don't shop the bulk bins you really should try it! I have used it as a way to try out different types of grains, beans, dried fruits, etc. It's a good way to push yourself out of your standard grocery gift and spice it up :).

Lentils may not be the prettiest presentation once they are done cooking, but they are a super healthy source of protein and fiber. I also like to try out different leafy greens. For this soup I selected swiss chard. Another ingredient that I would encourage trying... it's similar to kale.

As most of the recipes I create this one can definitely be tailored to use up whatever veggies you have on hand and want to use up. Make a big batch to last you through the week and freeze the extra for a rainy day :).

Swiss Chard & Lentil Soup

3 cloves garlic chopped
1/2 red onion diced
1 small carton of mushrooms chopped
6 cups chicken broth (or vegetable stock if you want to keep this vegetarian)
2 cups red lentils (rinse thoroughly in a strainer)
1 T dried thyme
1/2 bunch of swiss chard (tear out the stem and rough chop the leaves)

Directions:
Saute the garlic, onion and mushrooms (and any other veggies you want) with olive oil, salt and pepper in your dutch oven. Add in the broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling add the lentils and reduce to a simmer. Cook the lentils for 20-30 minutes, until tender. With about 5 minutes left on the lentils add in the swiss chard. Let the greens wilt a bit and you're ready to eat! I added goat cheese crumbles on top!



Eat and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment