Pages

Friday, October 8, 2010

Green Salsa Chicken Soup

As the fall weather finally started to set in this week so did my desire for making soup! I've had my eye on this quick and easy recipe from Real Simple Magazine and was so excited to finally get to make it.

I adapted the recipe with some of my favorite ingredients as well as doubled it to make sure I had leftovers for the week.

I started with 2 jars of green salsa and added the chicken broth. One good thing to note is you
can adjust the portions of salsa to chicken broth however you would like. If you are looking for more of a thick chili or stew, use more salsa. If you want it to have the feel of a broth based soup I would suggest adding more broth. My theory is always to play around until you get the texture you like.

While bringing the soup to a boil I cooked two lean chicken breasts in a skillet. The original recipe calls for rotisserie chicken, which I would love to try next time. Once the chicken was ready and chopped I proceeded to chop and throw in various vegetables that I wanted to use up (mushrooms and bell peppers) as well as the drained/rinsed beans. Lastly I added the cumin and let the soup boil until we were ready to eat!

When it came time to serve the soup I decided to top it with crumbled goat cheese, sliced avocado and green onions. The goat cheese was a great substitute for sour cream and added a really nice flavor and creaminess.

I hope you give this a try and tell me how you like it!

Recipe
(Adapted from Real Simple)
  • 2 jars of Whole Foods 365 brand green salsa
  • 2 chicken breasts cooked and chopped
  • 2 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, drained
  • 6 cups chicken broth
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 bunch of green onions, chopped for a topping
  • Goat cheese (crumbled on top)
  • Fresh mushrooms chopped
  • 2 bell peppers chopped
  • 2 avocados, sliced for topping
  • Tortilla chips for dipping

5 comments:

  1. Just put all the ingredients on my shopping list for today. Can't wait to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! We are going to have this tonight! I promise to send the recipe for steamed mussels in the white wine/pesto sauce:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay let me know how you both like it! And yes Julie I would love to get that mussels recipe from you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christy, Your recipe was a hit!! I substituted corn for the mushrooms, only because it sounded good, but other than that I followed the recipe to a tee. Thank you!! Now we have leftovers too.

    Onto your next recipe tonight:) Sounds so good for a rainy night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Julie said - it was a hit! Made it last night and I'm definitely excited to eat the leftovers tonight - also like Julie said ;)

    Thanks Christy for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete